Monday, November 21, 2016

Tarleton MPA Students and beyond,


Well, the fall semester is coming to a too quick end it seems. Finals are just ahead and papers are being finalized and ready for submission. I hope you all have had a great semester.


The MPA program has grown exponentially since it became a part of the School of Criminology, Criminal Justice and Strategic Studies -- from about 20 students in August 2015 to over 90 at this point. I hope you are continuing to get the word out among your colleagues and friends who are looking for a great MPA learning experience that will, no doubt, help them achieve not only personal goals, but also career goals.


Registration is now open for spring 2017 courses. We have a great line-up of both online and face-to-face courses to choose from. There will be three (3) courses offered at the Hickman Building in Fort Worth and eight (8) online courses.


F2F courses:


MAPA 5300, Public Administration (Mondays, 6 to 9 p.m.), Dr. Kathy Rowe
MAPA 5301, Org Behavior (Tuesdays, 6 to 9 p.m.), yours truly
MAPA 5302, HR Management (Wednesdays, 6 to 9 p.m.), yours truly


Online courses:


MAPA 5300, Public Administration, Dr. Brian Wish
MAPA 5304, Public Sector Law, Dr. Weeks
MAPA 5320, State and Local Government (IGR), Dr. Harvey
MAPA 5322, Advance Ethics, Dr. GM Cox
MAPA 5340, Critical Incident Management, Dr. Munn
MAPA 5345, Critical Social Issues, Dr. Rowe
MAPA 5311, Intergovernmental Relations, Dr. Pewitt
MAPA 5331, Public Policy, Dr. Morrow


Some of these courses are very close to being cancelled due to low enrollment. If you're interested in taking any of these courses, please register soon so that decisions can be made about what courses will make.


See you all in the spring.

Dr. Cox
Asst. Professor
Director, MPA Program
SCCJSS
Tarleton State University

15 comments:

  1. Hello, Dr. Cox! This is Megan Harp. I am posting a comment for credit for both the MAPA 5301 and MAPA 5302 courses! I am very excited for the commencement of the semester, and look forward to learning from you in both of my courses this session!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hello, Megan.

      Great to see you in the blog.

      I enjoyed your participation in both classes over the summer.

      I know you will enjoy your fall semester and the courses yet to come.

      Dr. Cox

      Delete
  2. Dr. Cox,

    This is Kelsey Wiederrich and I am currently taking MAPA 5301. I took one of your trainings last year in Denton County, De-Escalation - Crisis Management through Better Communication, and have been waiting to take one of your online MAPA classes. I am excited to see what this semester holds and can't wait to get started.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Howdy, Kelsey. Whow, glad you decided to get into our MPA program. I know you will (did) well in our classes and you will learn all kinds of things that will be useful to your career and future.

      Dr. Cox

      Delete
  3. Hello Dr. Cox!

    My name is Lizeth Aragon and I am enrolled in your MAPA 5302 online course for the summer. I am very excited for the semester and I am looking forward to learning from you!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hey, Liz.

      Great to see you found the blog. Whew hew! Thanks for posting a comment.

      I hope you did learn something from me, because I know I learned a great deal from you and your fellow students this summer.

      See you in class.

      Dr. Cox

      Delete
  4. Hi Dr. Cox! This is Katelyn Kasberg, I am enrolled in your MAPA 5301 class this summer. I am very excited to be starting the MPA program!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Hi Dr. Cox,
    This is Darlene Lewis. I am excited to have you for both classes this summer MAPA 5301 and 5302. It was really nice to meet you in person at the TPCA conference at the Woodlands last month. Looking forward to a great semester and learning more on leadership and HR. We always say the hardest part of our job is managing people. Can't wait to learn and apply the knowledge!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi, Darlene.

      I enjoyed it as well.

      I am delighted that you and I met and that you are nearing the end of you MPA journey. Congrats!

      It is not only the management of people but the leading them, responsibly with love, that is the real challenge. One I know you are up for.

      See you in class.

      Dr. Cox

      Delete
  6. Dr. Cox,

    This is Austin Williams, and I currently enrolled in Organizational Behavior (MAPA 5301) and Human Resource Management (MAPA 5302) for the summer 2017 term. For any new students, I am enjoying the MPA program at Tarleton. In particular, I am learning valuable leadership skills to put to work in my career.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hey, Austin. Thanks for posting on the blog. Great to see you found it and I, truly, appreciate you in class.

      I look forward to more good things from you and our program.

      Dr. Cox

      Delete
  7. Hello Dr. Cox,
    My Corey Feldhaus, I am currently enrolled in your Summer 2017 MAPA 5302 Human resources, and MAPA 5301 Organizational Behavior. At the end of the current summer 2017 Semester I will have completed half of my MPA degree. I started the degree to aid in my advancement in the public sector. I am now seeing the puzzle come together as I progress in the program. I feel confident that the degree programing with aid in my advancement.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hello Dr.Cox,
      This is Amanda Kennedy, I am currently enrolled in your Summer 2017 Human Resource Management (MAPA 5302) and Organizational Behavior (MAPA 5301) courses. After this course is over I will be halfway through the Public Administration program at Tarleton State. This past year has been eye opening on how so much goes into running a government agency or non-profit organization. I have enjoyed how each course ties into one another, I feel as though I am building upon each course to become a better student and employee. I have used some of what I have learned at both work and internships I have held this past year. I am excited to see what the next year holds within this program.

      Delete
    2. Hey, Corey. Always nice to know that our courses are making a difference in both lives and views.

      I like to say, "education is irreplaceable, irrevocable, and nonrefundable!"

      So, the burden of being educated is that we can no longer hold to superstition (well, I still toss salt over my right shoulder, or is it my left...whatever) as we go about our lives and careers.

      Seek knowledge, truth and wisdom. They all will serve you well.

      Dr. Cox

      Delete
  8. Hi, Amanda.

    Thanks for the post and I am delighted that the program has pushed and twisted you into looking at the world through a different, more clear, lens.

    Congrats on your progress so far and I am sure you will do well through the rest of the program.

    Dr. Cox

    ReplyDelete