Thursday, September 1, 2016

Hello Tarleton MPA Nation.

The fall semester of the MPA program at Tarleton is off to a robust start. All our class offerings made with over 80 students taking classes from Public Administration to Critical Social Problems. Our students come all walks of public administration environments -- federal government, education, police officers, public works, city management, fire fighters, corrections, nonprofits and NGO employees. We even have a couple private sector folks interested in branching into the public sector. Welcome, all.


We offered 5 online courses and 3 face-to-face. Students are exploring public budgeting, public policy and policy analysis, intergovernmental relations, critical incident management, critical social issues, and intro into public administration.


As you all know, we are in the middle of a presidential campaign. While the candidates themselves create a great deal of political theater, it is the policy issues that I find most germane to the Administrative State.


So, I hope you all start paying attention to what the candidates say about all the policy issues that usually accompany such campaign silliness. However, more often than not, what the candidates talk about, what makes the list of items to be included in the debate circuit, we in public administration will have to deal with the fallout or deal with the process of formulating, negotiating and implementing those very policy initiatives.


Have fun, don't take what the candidates say to serious, especially what they say about each other, focus on the policy issues and ask yourself this question, if I have to deal with the policy issues being debated, how would I go about it?

Dr. G. M. Cox, Chief (Ret)
Asst. Professor
Director, MPA Program

12 comments:

  1. This is Jared Salzman I am an MPA student. I am taking MPA 5311. I am looking forward to reading the blogs, learning from others, and hopefully contributing.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hey, Jared. Glad you found the blog and thank you for posting a comment. Great to have you in class again. I know you will enjoy MAPA 5311, Intergovernmental Relations. It is a great class to learn about the relationships and responsibilities of the various levels of government -- federal (some might say, national), state and local. See you in class.

      Dr. Cox

      Delete
  2. My name is Rebecca DePuy. I am enrolled in MAPA 5311, 5315, and 5331.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi, Rebecca. Glad you found the blog. Thanks for posting. I hope your first semester in the MPA program at Tarleton goes great. I know you will learn a lot and I also know that I will a great deal from you.

      You have a great line-up of courses to start your MPA journey -- Intergovernmental Relations, Public Policy and Public Budgeting. Solid PA courses. Welcome and I will see you in class. I hope you have a fantastic semester.

      Delete
  3. My name is Matthew DePuy. I am enrolled in MAPA 5311, 5315, and 5331.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi, Matthew. Glad to see you found the blog. I hope you make comments frequently. Please feel free to send many any posts you would like to make for the blog. I will review (just for accuracy, etc.) and post it to the blog for you.

      I hope you have a great semester and a fantastic learning experience.

      I am honored to have you in my classes and I look forward to many scholarly discussions and conversations.

      Dr. Cox

      Delete
  4. My name is Paula Reed. I am taking MAPA 5311 Intergovernmental Relations. I am also taking Public Budgeting online. I will graduate this December. Thanks Dr. Cox for all your help thus far.:-)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hey, Paula. Glad you found the blog and made a comment.

      MAPA 5311 is an outstanding course that explores the relationships, authority, and legitimacy among and between the various levels of government in this republic -- The United States of America. A very unique governmental experiment, now over 240 years old.

      I hope you have a blast this semester and learn a lot.

      See you in class.

      Dr. Cox

      Delete
  5. My name is Nikki Rhodes. I am in Public Policy and Public Budgeting. I can't figure out how to post on the blog other than a comment. Can anyone fill me in?
    NR

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hello, Nikki. Welcome to the Tarleton MPA blog. I hope you consider posting other comments and if you would like to post a blog, just send me the text of the post you would like to make, and I will post it into the blog.

      Good luck in your endeavors.

      Dr. Cox

      Delete
  6. Hi, I'm Maria Pizzo from the private accounting world. I am taking Public Budgeting 5315. I often look for & apply to local city government job positions, but I fail to meet all of the criteria. I am not at an entry level, nor have I worked in a public office before. Anyone want to offer suggestions as to how might break into this field? Thanks

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Howdy, Maria. Glad you found the blog and posted a comment. I am truly happy that you are in my class again this semester. Great seeing you back after what I hope was a great summer.

      See you in class.

      Dr. Cox

      Delete